Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Creative 6th grade Spanglish

Today when I walked into class one of my students asked me, "Teacher, do you know what is rechicken?" I smiled, thought about it for a second and replied that I had no idea. Then he blurted while trying to stifle his uncontrollable giggling, "it's CABBAGE!" I still was perplexed until he pulled it together and explained to me as if I were the child in the situation and not he, "You know chicken means pollo in Spanish, si?"

And then I caught up. Repollo is Spanish for cabbage. Of course in California our Spanglish typically consists of mixing Spanish and English WHOLE words in one sentence, maybe he can start a Spanglish revolution here in Madrid...

1 comment:

  1. Im pretty sure that teaching is an art and not a craft. Decisive victories in art might be rare but small moments of great joy are common. I am and will continue to be, envious of the adventure you are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete