Monday, January 11, 2010

Snow Day!

So I was supposed to go back to school today but instead I stayed home because it snowed in Madrid. Really, we only got a couple of inches, but it was enough for Madrid to shut things down- schools, the airport, train schedules... the place was a bit of a mess.

With my free day I've been catching up on things like this blog, emails, and grading papers. I'm also planning out my goals at school for the upcoming year.

After this trip to Morocco, my mindset has changed a bit. If anything, Morocco helped me to appreciate how nice Spain is and has also helped me to remember to take advantage of the time I have left here.

So I have 2 projects to work on until June. The first has been ongoing and it is a quest really to get the 5th and 6th grade children writing correctly in English. So far we have written about superheroes, holidays and other random silly things that will get the children interested in writing sentences. They really get stoked when we write about things that let them use their imagination. I guess that's the benefit of being the English teacher, I don't have to make them write about ancient civilizations or tectonic plates (not that those things aren't fascinating!).

My second project is a Science Fair for the 6th graders. They've never done one before and they haven't really done a lot of hands on experimentation in science so I am excited to see what they will come up with for this. Although now that I am in the beginning planning stages I have already realized that organizing this will be a lot more work than I originally thought!

New Year, new goals. I'm definitely looking forward to see how it all goes! Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment