Monday, July 5, 2010

Mosquitos: 376, Tammy: 3



I am at war with the insect kingdom and I am losing famously. I've made it to Corfu and have discovered first hand what it actually means when you are on the Greek island with the most rainfall. It's like being a walking, bloody, dripping steak to those irreverent bastards. The bite me when I'm sleeping, when I'm peeling potatoes, when I'm washing dishes, when I'm walking about, when I'm washing dishes, when I'm getting hot water to wash dishes... did I mention that I wash dishes? Yeah, so I haven't done much farming to date, but I will be learning to make feta cheese later this week.

I made it to Athens a few days ago and spent one full day there checking out the Acropolis, eating Greek spinach pies and drinking mate with Uruguayans. It was pretty grand to tell the truth. Athens is a bit of a hot mess, thus warranting such a short visit.

The following day I took a 9 hour "Express" bus/ferry trip to arrive in Corfu. The views were quite enjoyable so it wasn't such a painful trip. I also met a new friend and some of the members of his band who live in the Corfu Town (the big city on the island with 40,000 people). Hopefully one night this month I'll make it over there to see them play.

I am living in Pelekas Beach, which is a pretty little beach on the west side of the island. For reference, it takes about 25 minutes to drive across the island east to west. North to south would be a few hours at least. So far I am not doing much farm work, as originally thought, but rather serving breakfast and cleaning around the hostel in the mornings. In the afternoon after 1pm I have free time and then I can go to the beach or hike around. The views are phenomenal and the company has been good. All of the food we cook comes from the farm so we have had a ton of fresh veggies, salads, and other delicious meals. Anyway, aside from being told to sleep under a hornets' nest, things have been pretty good here-anyway, I cried anaphylaxis.


Here's a pıc of the World Cup fınal... My roommate Anne Sophie gave me some face paint before I left Spaın, so naturally I painted everyone's face with it at the hostel.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure things will get better as you prove your commitment and willingness to learn. I miss you and hope you enjoy your Greek-Island adventure before your return to Cali! Miss you and hope you're well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete